What Should I Carry When Checking Into Rehab
There are certain items that are not allowed in a rehab facility and so when checking in, you need to be sure which ones are allowed.
What you can carry to rehabilitation is subject to clinics' severe regulations. These prohibited items will be outlined in a form before come in so you are aware.
Following your arrival at the treatment centre, you are required to check in and initiate the admission process. During this time, the admissions team belonging to the centres will inspect your belongings to ensure safety and to understand whether any prohibited items are also included. All the details of what you came in with will be recorded in the patient property book.
However, all treatment centres allow you to bring in the necessities that are required. Every clinic has rules on additional items.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Get The Packing Information
The rehab will always notify you of all the items that are not allowed in their facility. Alternatively, you can also look for the frequently asked questions [FAQs] section if the page mentioned above does not exist. Although not all centres offer a checklist, some provide the patient in order to prepare them prior to admission. Alternatively, you can get in touch directly with the rehab administrators. They will let you know of all the items. You can also receive clarification on other policies or guidance about the admission process.
Items Most Recommended By Rehab Centres To Bring With You
The things allowed in one rehab may not be allowed in others.
Below are some items that are most recommended
- Details of people who form your support group (family and close friends, doctors, 12-step sponsors, and others).
- Jewellery that means the most value to you just like an engagement or wedding ring.
- On the contrary, keep your valued objects at your dwelling.
- An alarm clock without a radio.
- Some centres are known to supply these items, and therefore, it would be better to verify this particular item before venturing out into the market to purchase them.
- The original bottle from the drugstore with the information label integral and your actual prescription medicine.
- Medication in liquid form should be sealed and in the freshest condition.
- You are also allowed to carry a list of all your medications along with the dosages required.
- Ensure you are some cash with you in small denominations.
- Your check book, credit or debit card for therapy medication expenses.
- Bring along your insurance card as well as documents needed for personal identity verification.
- A phone card (when your clinic needs them for international phone calls).
- Your personal journal.
- If you want to mail letters, carry stamps, postcards, and envelopes with you.
- Some picture of close relatives and friends.
- Most rehabs provide inpatients with books and magazines to read.
- Most of the items that are allowed should play some part in the recovery process.
- Small notebook are the best since they are not heavy.
What Clothing You Can Carry
It is common for rehabs to have strict dress policy in place and that's why you should check with the centre first. In case you are not aware about how the weather will be like, carry some summer as well as winter clothes with you.
Bear in mind that the space within your room could be limited, and therefore, you are advised not to over pack.
Laundry spaces are accessible in a facility so you can plan your clothes packing based on that amenity. Try not to bring clothes which require special washing like dry cleaning for example.
Ensure that you bring following clothes and items that will make your week comfortable
- Shoes Comfortable shoes for everyday use, tennis shoes for activities/sports and flip-flops for the shower.
- Shirts For slightly revealing articles, you may bring cardigans or pullovers to cover it to avoid dress code policy issues.
- Pants Comfortable pants fit for any occasion
- Shorts The dress code of the centres will determine the length of the shorts.
- One or two smart dresses for special occasions.
- Bathing suit One is more than enough.
- A jacket.
- A bathrobe.
- A belt, if needed.
- Caps or hats, although they may not be allowed indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products That Are Acceptable
Majority of rehabs allow only alcohol-free hygiene and cosmetic products. Some may allow you to bring products, which do not have alcohol within the first three ingredients that are listed. You will not be allowed to carry aerosols.
Personal hygiene and beauty products that last for a month have to be carried along and they are
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Hair styling products [pump hairspray only]
- Hair brush
- Products used mostly by females
- Shaving cream
Which Items Are Prohibited
Certain items are not allowed inside the premises of rehab centres. The prohibited items are not allowed to keep you safe and on the path of recovery Prohibited items vary by the centres but the following items are almost always banned
- Drugs and alcohol
- Narcotics and prohibited prescriptions
- Sharp objects and weapons
- Food items
- Everyday stuff containing alcohol
- Electronic cigarettes
- OTC medicines that are not allowed and have been opened before
- Nail polish, polish remover and synthetic nail related products
- Video games and movies in any media
- Games equipment
- Skimpy clothes
- Cleaning supplies [bleach, ammonia, etc.]
- Electronic gadgets
- Candles and incense
- Clothing with profanity or references to drugs, alcohol or violence
Games and playing cards, video games and DVDs, and sporting apparatus may leave you wondering. Retrieval will be better off without such distractions. During certain times, the centres itself will make the arrangements necessary to make items like these available to you.
Most clinics will prohibit food and drinks coming from outside as they don't respect proper sugar and caffeine quantities. You will get all the meals that you need on a daily basis. All your diet needs will be fully taken care of by the rehab chefs.
These Items Are Allowed By Some But Prohibited By Others
Every rehab centre has its own policies and some may prohibit an item which is allowed at the other. These are some of the items that may be allowed or not allowed in the facilities
- Smartphones and Laptops
- Access to these items will be restricted even if the rehab chosen by you allows these items.
- Just make sure that your chargers and power cords are brought with you.
- Some facilities will allow you to bring in cigarettes if you are a smoker.
- Although you have this privilege, you are limited to a number of specified quantities allowed.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- All the medicine should either be prescribed or new.
- Chewing Gums
- It must be unopened and sealed.
- MP3 and CD Players
- You might be permitted to bring along entertainment devices that can work without speakers and internet.
- Cameras are allowed by some treatment centres.
- Shaving Equipments
- This though is largely not admitted in most centres.
- You can bring disposable razors with you.
- Nail Clippers
- It depends with the requirement in the facility.
- Personalizing Your Room To Make It Feel Homey
- Many centres allow patients to bring their own mattresses and pillows and other stuff to give their room a more homely appearance.
- Just double check with your rehab centre if these are indeed allowed before stuffing them into your luggage.
Will I Retrieve Forbidden Items That I Accidently Take To The Clinic
Your property will always be safe. The person who brought you to the centres will be requested to carry the prohibited item's back home by the rehab centres. Many others will hold the items for 24 hours until someone comes over to pick them up. You may also choose to pick the after the session ends.
You are likely to travel alone if you are commuting by air and so there won't be anyone to take the prohibited items home. Make sure you review the regulations of your centre by calling them. You also need to be sure of the safety of your items if they are not allowed inside the facility. Make sure your objects are sent back to your house if they are not kept by the clinic.
Make Packing For Rehab Simple Read and stick to the policies of your centre; in case of a doubt, call them up. They always have documents that give details of this information. Follow the general rule and try to pack light to keep it down to the necessities.
Act Now For Help
Every reputable centre gives permission to its patients to bring with them things which will help them to stay comfortably inside the facility. We can help you identify a rehab centre that will be effective for you.
We can help you find the best centre, call us today on 0800 246 1509.