Getting Back To Normal After Being An Addict
You might want to celebrate once you achieve sobriety but don't think the job is done, because staying sober is just as difficult as, perhaps even more than, achieving sobriety. Setting up goals and developing new hobbies are a few methods that can be used during the effort to stay sober.
It is way easier for a person to withdrawal from the drugs if they are in a rehab facility because they will be monitored there.
A rehab centre not only gives you a great chance to achieve sobriety but also equips you with knowledge, tools, and strategies to stay sober once you are back in the real world.
Getting back to your life can be exhilarating after spending considerable time in rehab, but expect new challenges to come your way as you try to stay clean.
It is possible for you to attain prevention and coping with the initiators by getting to know them well. This way you can stay clean.
Handling The Desires To Use When Out Of Rehab
Getting back to normal life after staying in a protected, controlled environment is not easy.
Circumstances that may precipitate relapse to previous unhealthy lifestyle are often faced by going back home.
Enticement may arise from some feelings you may have on getting back to your formal routines and meeting loved ones.
There are a few methods by which you can avoid or manage these temptations in your everyday life after the rehab such as
- Establish Positive Relationships and Support System
- Surrounding yourselves with sober people along with people who could have your best interests at heart and want to provide you the help needed to become successful.
- Participate in support groups or have a reliable confidant who will not only police your negative tendencies but also holds you accountable for your actions and commitment.
- Environment Change
- After leaving the facility and before reaching home, you should be asking a loved one or an individual you trust to discard any paraphernalia from your place.
- Don't go near places which make you want to use the addicted substance again.
- Set Objectives For Your Future
- Some support the idea that setting objectives or new plans for the future could help you become stronger in resisting urges or temptations.
- One is bound to keep off the drugs if they have a plan for their future and will work to achieve it.
- Scheduled Meetings Must Be Attended
- Make sure that you continue going for counselling even after you have left the rehab.
- Help from doctors and rehabilitation centres are important to sustain abstinence although sometimes they seem like lots of stress and you might be tempted to skip.
- Find time each day to express thanks for all the good things happened to you that day.
- Make sure that you are grateful for your life and recognize the efforts you have made to become clean.
- You may keep a list of all things that you are grateful for that you may enjoy from day to day.
- Change Your Lifestyle For The Better
- A study which has been published in the European Journal Of Social Psychology provides information that it can take in excess of two months before a fresh habit can become habitual, and therefore, you will be required to find a new and a positive habit which you enjoy and stay with it without exceptions.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Join Clean Activities Rather Than Using Addictive Substances
It is critical that you replace your old habits with new positive habits, which will be helpful during the recovery.
There are a lot of activities and new hobbies that you can take part in when you are living a clean life.
If you are wondering whether you should be going back to the rehab or feel a need for some help to stay on a sober path after the rehab, please contact us now on 0800 246 1509 for the help you need.
The following are some of the things you can take part in
- Developing a hobby on crafts or art
- Join online classes
- Learn a new language
- Volunteering for community work
Join Social Groups For A Support Feeling
Seek for the nearest available support organization in your area and take advantage of the services offered. Involvement in jobs and hobbies with like minds, participation in social meetings, going for psychological consultations enables you to keep inspiring people within reach.
Participation in numerous types of continuing care, which include therapy, check-ups, 12-step meetings and alternative support groups is also recommended.
Can You Keep Sober When In The Presence Of Alcohol Or Drugs
This could just be one of the trigger situations that could test your control where it is best to just skip altogether. It will be difficult for newcomers completely to stop thinking about their old habits and therefore, the problem of resisting a temptation can be challenging.
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you will find yourself in a compromising condition (such as get-together of closed ones), these are some of the things you can do to ease the atmosphere.
Avoiding temptation to drink in social gatherings
- Make sure you are there with a friend that neither use nor drink and be in company of dependable people.
- If you get the urge to drink, you can use a drink that is not alcoholic.
- Minimise the time you spend within the party by arriving late or leaving early.
- If you feel that the temptation is getting too much, you can leave that place.
The Benefits Of Getting And Staying Off The Alcohol And Drugs
Your general well being will be improved when you start being sober. Aside the bodily advantage, a lot more can be gained from abstinence. The reasons to remain sober include
- Getting to meet new abstinent people
- Spend less money
- A clear and positive outlook
- More energy to do things
- Physical and mental improvements
- Give new hope to other addicts who want to quit
Giving up an addiction, whether of alcohol or any other drug, is the most difficult thing. It certain that it is not a straightforward and easy process. You reap a sunny disposition and positive outlook in maintaining your commitment to sobriety.
Every journey always begins with a small step in the right direction. You also need to have an objective as to why you are withdrawing from alcohol and follow it to the end.